July 21, 2013

Author Interview with Dom King


Hi Dom, first of all, could you tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm 30 years old and I work as a global economist by day in the UK. I play and watch a lot of sport, especially football, rugby, cricket and hockey. I have traveled extensively through Europe and Latin America as well as China and speak French, Spanish and Portuguese. I like setting myself physical challenges - over the past couple of years I climbed the three highest peaks in the UK in 24 hours and also completed a triathlon.

What do you think makes your genre special?
The escapism. Fantasy takes the reader somewhere different. Somewhere where different rules may apply. Now as an older reader it takes me back to my childhood when I could spend hours playing soldiers and castles with my Lego. It was a happy, carefree time when your brain is bursting with ideas, when your imagination is running wild.

What do you think makes a great story?
Deep characters. Strong dialogue. Great twists. If you have all of these, your book will succeed. Descriptive passages are fine, but for me they are the background, the setting, the rice if you like - not the star attraction. What really keeps the reader hooked are the the faster moving pieces, where the dialogue is sharp and perhaps witty, where the characters are dissected and where unexpected things happen.

What is your latest book called and could you explain to us in 20 words what it is about?
The Chamber is a classic story of good and evil, of travel and adventure, battle and magic, but most of all, growing up.

Which kind of reader do you think will enjoy your book?
I think readers who liked Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series (such as myself) would enjoy it. Although as it is completely set in alternate world and explores other 'races' (elves, goblins, trolls, dwarves etc.) I would say it also has elements similar to 'Game of Thrones' and 'Lord of the Rings' so I would also encourage fans of those books to give it a go.

Is it a Standalone, or part of the series? If it the latter, how long do you think will it go on?
The Chamber is the first book of the Twin Worlds trilogy. I have recently finished the first draft of Vol II. However, there is so much history in it, that there could easily be prequels and sequels. Depends on its success, I suppose!

What influenced or inspired you writing it?
Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd...but perhaps not in the way you would think. It's rare I give up on a book but I only managed 100 pages of this book before dropping it, convinced I could do better. Of course I have a long way to go before matching his success, but then it's (very) early days!

Why did you choose especially this title? Was it your first choice?
The first scene of the book is set in a chamber and it remains key to the whole book. I looked at a couple of other titles, not least because John Grisham and Harry Potter books have similar titles, but I feel it was the best choice.

What was the hardest part for you working on your book?
Editing. There were parts of the book I was unhappy with, and I was failing to get interest from publishers. I had read the thing so many times I was sick of it. Thankfully I persisted, tidied it up, got interest from a publisher and finally took it to market.

Was there a scene that you didn’t want to add or remove in your finished work?
My publisher suggested I change the ending. I was skeptical at first but they identified a need to tie up more of the loose ends, rather than merely setting it up for Vol II. I'm much happier with the ending as it now stands.

Do you already know what to do next?
Vol II of the Twin Worlds trilogy - The Black Gate - is currently with my publishers for editing. I think it is  better than Vol I. The characters are richer and the plot is somewhat deeper...and darker.

Where can we find more about you and your books?
Please check out my website: www.dominichking.com

Any last words?
If you have an idea for a story, however small or undeveloped, go for it.Going through a traditional publishing house is by no means the only way to take a book to market. Even if it doesn't sell that well, you will feel a massive sense of achievement. It's an imprint of you on the world. No one can take that away from you.

When an unstoppable evil force known only as ‘the Reaper’ seeks to break into Kal’s world, his life becomes intrinsically linked to that of Daine, a ruthless female assassin. Boy and girl must face challenges both together and apart if Kal is to save his father who lies in a chamber far away, and Daine is discover why she has been called away from everything she has ever known. Kal must travel further than he has ever been before, alone, except for the sporadic guidance of his father’s best friend, the mysterious Juquor. Relentlessly pursued by the deadly Arrochom, he must show maturity beyond his years to fight prejudice, solitude and the fears that cramp his every waking moment if he is to find a way back to his father. Daine finds herself in another world, ripped from the comfort of the profession that is all she has ever known, unable even to converse with those around her. Confronted with feelings from a missing adolescence and forced to learn everything she once knew again, she must battle with her gender and revisit painful memories if she is to find purpose and quell the daemons that stalk her dreams. 

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment